Concentrating on my photo shoot, I heard the crash of the lights behind me. Ugh, now I had to clean up this mess before I could get back to my job because the contents of compact fluorescent light bulbs are toxic. In my haste, I didn't clean well enough or fast enough as the next day we noticed a kitten with a weak rear end. By the following day, she couldn't stand up.
Fortunately for Vera, Jon had experienced paralysis due to toxins in cats before, and because of his prior experience, we have always had Thuja Occidentals 30c in the house. As soon as we connected the paralysis to the broken light bulb, Jon immediately gave Vera Thuja. Within a day, she was a bit wobbly, but back on her feet, and within four days, she was running around as if nothing had happened.
The top ten toxins to pets are:
1. Human medications
2. Insecticides - including some flea and tick medications
3. People food (particularly chocolate)
5. Veterinary medications
7. Household cleaners
8. Heavy metals - zinc, lead, mercury
9. Garden products such a fertilizer
10. Chemical hazards like antifreeze or paint thinner
This is a very broad list, and there is a fairly decent chance your cat could encounter one of these substances at some point in its life. How do you know your cat has been in contact with a toxin? Unfortunately, unless you see it happening, you really don't know for sure. There are no specific symptoms that cover all forms of ingestion of a toxin. The most common symptom that we have experienced and heard of through our many cat friends is paralysis or partial paralysis. Other common symptoms can be seizures and dilated pupils. The type of toxins we have treated or helped friends treat have specifically been with metal toxins (from vaccinations and the fluorescent light bulb) and household cleaners.
Jon learned about Thuja after a whole litter of kittens of his became paralyzed after receiving their vaccinations from the vet. Jon connected the paralysis to the vaccination, but his vet at the time did not believe him. The vet thought the kittens must have broken their spines. After proving with an X-ray that the spines were not damaged, the vet's only suggestion was to put the entire litter of kittens to sleep.
Jon researched, researched, and researched - thinking there had to be another answer. He consulted with an online vet who practiced holistic treatments, and it was through this vet, that Jon learned about Thuja Occidentals 30c.
Thuja Occidentals 30c comes on small sugar cube pills; the Thuja is only on the outside of the pill. You are not to touch the Thuja at any point in time as the oils on our skin can reduce the efficacy. The best way to administer Thuja is to put the needed number of pills into a spoon and crush them with another spoon, then pour the contents into the cat's mouth. In most cases, before it can even get any of the crushed substance out, the Thuja has absorbed through the mucous membrane.
You should seek medical advice from your veterinarian if you suspect your cat has ingested a toxin. Even if your vets haven't heard of Thuja Occidentals 30c, you can ask him or her to research it.
As always, we are here for our people. You can contact Jon privately if you have a specific case you'd like to consult with him on. The amount of Thuja and duration of treatment will vary beside on the circumstance. Any medical advice given is merely a suggestion - and if you chose to act on it, you do so with the knowledge that we are not licensed veterinarians - just experienced cat lovers who have been there, done that.